Monday, February 28, 2011

What I learned from Oscar

Okay, so there weren't really many surprises last night at the Oscars. Melissa Leo was clearly shocked by her Best Supporting Actress win for her work in The Fighter, and Billy Crystal's brief stint  was a welcome surprise, but other than that, not many surprises. Except for in the Short Film category, which is always a surprise because almost nobody has seen any of them, including me.

Well, no more! I've resolved to make an effort to see more short films this year. For one thing, they're usually very clever and very well-done. And for another, I write short stories and picture books, so isn't it obvious that I should pay attention to short form films? Screenwriters are great at focusing on story construction. So if I want to up my game, I figure I should up my exposure to the good stuff.

Now I just have to figure out where I can get my hands on some short films to watch. Any ideas? Can I hit up my local video rental store, or is there some kind of underground short film network that I need to tap into?

And what did you like and dislike about the Oscar Ceremony last night?

6 comments:

  1. Okay - I know I'm the only one...but I didn't watch. I never do...

    ReplyDelete
  2. No idea about the short films. They must be available somewhere though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To be honest, I'm not a short film watcher...I don't really know what they're all about, LOL!

    About the Oscars--what was up with James Franco???

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't usually watch but I did. The thank you's get too long though I know they all want to thank everyone. Sorry I don't know about where to get the movies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haven't got a clue, but if you do find a goody let us know! I missed the Oscars last night but it really doesn't sound like I missed much from what everyone has said. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You might start by checking out some film festival websites. Usually there are lots of short films. Good luck. It sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete