Wednesday, November 23, 2011

In Memoriam: RIP, Anne McCaffrey

I received the sad news in my inbox today that Anne McCaffrey, author of the Dragonriders of Pern series, has passed away.

I was an avid reader and watcher of Sci-Fi as a kid - I lost myself in Star Trek episodes and devoured the Pern series. Anne McCaffrey was a big part of why I decided to write books: I wanted to give kids the same feeling of being transported that I felt while reading her books. She was one of the greatest sci-fi writers ever to have written, in my opinion, and the world is better for having had her in it.

You can read more HERE, in Galleycat's feed.

5 comments:

  1. I haven't read her work but I know many people who place her at the top of science fiction creativity. I imagine she will be missed. But that's the wonderful thing about writing--it remains long after the writer is gone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was really sad to hear the news. I firmly believe that the only reason my cousin is alive today is because of those books. Threw himself into reading and re-reading them instead of just throwing himself off of something when his parents divorced.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not a sci-fi fan but I can imagine the loss. Sorry to hear it.

    By the way I finally got hold of an Ivy and Bean, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband was a big fan of the Dragonrider series. It's nice of you to take a moment and pay tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the sad news, indeed. I've read some of Anne's books in the Dragonriders of Pern series, although my sister is a much bigger fan than I am. I need to email her and let her know, if she hasn't heard about Anne's passing away already :-(

    ReplyDelete