|Morning motivation from my office.|
I like that quote. It says so much about life: that if you want something, I mean really, REALLY want something, you've got to do the work to get it. And getting the thing and doing the work are basically the same thing.
I decided I needed to set myself some rules for getting this thing that I want - publication with a major house, on a consistent basis, from now until forever.
New year, new rules.
The rules apply every day, even on Christmas. They are called Rules for a reason, folks.
Here are The Rules:
- up at 6am; NO EXCEPTIONS (I'm not gonna lie: this one sucks for me. I am SO not a morning person. But, hours! In a day! Limited! So, new wake-up time. I'll get used to it.)
- minimum one hour writing time; NO EXCEPTIONS (Also, blogging does not count as "writing time.")
- blogging once per week (I'm doing it now! YAY!)
- vlogging once per week (Vlogs will be mirrored here on the blog, to keep the blog ticking over more often than once weekly.)
- half an hour per day on a language (This is nothing to do with writing and everything to do with me wanting to be more Me and less Mom/Spouse/Homeschooler/Vegetable Grower/etc. Also, Spy. I want to be more Spy.)
- half an hour per day on an instrument (Same deal as the language thing.)
- one hour per day consuming media (Reading, critical TV or film watching, etc. You've gotta fill the well, folks.)
- social media for half an hour before 9am, and during The Kidlets' piano practice (Blogging counts!)
- accountability on the blog
That last one is important. I can't tell you how many times I've made a promise to myself, only to break it within a few weeks. It might not be this way for everybody, but for me, accountability is vital. It's what makes me ACTUALLY do what I say I'm going to do. So every time I post here, I'm going to tell you how I'm doing at the end of the post.
I guess you could call these resolutions, except that none of them are Great, Grand Plans or anything. They're just little changes I'm making to my day, every day. We'll see if it makes a difference.
How about you?
Accountability Count: Up today at 6am; Twitter, FB, and blogging done, cut off at 1/2 an hour; blog for the week done. And its only 8am! WOO-HOO!
Currently reading: THE MARVELS, by Brian Selznick. Halfway through, I give it an A+.
Currently watching: Wonderfalls.