Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Wisdom on Wednesday

I'm jumping on the alliteration bandwagon here, but who cares? It's catchy, and I like it. And Wisdom on Wednesday is my newest regular feature, so be sure to stop by every Wednesday for my hottest writing (and sometimes acting and dancing, since I do those things too) tips.

My wisdom today for the freelance/not full-time writer is: make a schedule and stick to it.

I have to admit to something here: I am really, really bad at this. I am a clutter person, a have all my projects out at once person, and I totally suck at sticking to a schedule. I don't even remember to take my vitamins most days, guys. Me + schedule = hot mess.

BUT

When I do make a schedule, and I do stick to it, it works. I have time for my kids, and my daily workout, and my writing, and my housework. I even remember to take my vitamins. I KNOW!

So if you want to squeeze in writing around critique groups and kids and marriage and a job and life, you've got to do it. You've got to schedule it in. I wrote my daily routine out and stuck it to the bottom of the calendar, but you put yours wherever you will see it every day. And don't be afraid to be as detailed as you need to be. I have my day blocked out in half-hour increments that include things like folding laundry, vacuuming, cooking and eating (which sounds really dumb but the kids need to eat at about the same time every day anyway, so I may as well schedule it in - stop staring, I know I'm weird), playtime, etc. My "work" time, in the evening, is split into time to answer emails, critique, blog, and write.

Make a schedule. Stick to it.

It works.

2 comments:

  1. I had a nice schedule, but I just had surgery on my ankle and am on crutches for a month, so now it takes me five times longer to get anything I'm supposed to do done. Not to mention I may be offered a full time job soon, so my whole state of being is about to be tossed to the wind and I'll have to make a new schedule and find some time to write and take part in crit groups...and blog...and do all of the sewing projects I have in the pipeline...and...and...AHHHH!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know how you feel! Having my kids home all summer has been great, but it's sucked up a lot of my writing time. So, don't let it stress you out. Take some time to decide what your priorities are, and make a new schedule.

    And don't forget to breathe!

    ReplyDelete