Wednesday, January 5, 2011

TV: One Giant Time-Suck, or Inspiration-in-a-Box?

Okay. Your favorite show is on, so even though you had the time slated for crits and writing, you decide to tune in. It's only an hour, right?

Then your show turns out to be a re-run, but you watch it anyway. You've already mentally rescheduled your writing time for when it's over, so what's the harm? And before you know it, your show is over and you're surfing for a show that's better than the one that came on after it.

Am I the only one who does this?


The thing is, the show I found was really good. And it's based on a book. And it's inspired me to think more broadly about a manuscript that I'm working on, and to think about how to incorporate certain elements into it better than I already have. So for me, even though I got less writing done, I got some valuable insights into how I've been approaching my story. And that's a good thing.

So, what is TV for you? A Time-Suck, or an Inspiration?

3 comments:

  1. TV is background noise...the crowd in a coffee shop. I'm aware of it, glance at it every now and again, but almost never pay attention.
    The internet is my time suck, but like you, I often stumble upon something useful or inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :-) I read your post after spending more than twice the time I intended to on reading writer and agent blogs. We are kindred spirits, methinks.

    ReplyDelete