Anywho, I thought it would be fun to share our favorite movies. Some of mine are:
FROM MY CHILDHOOD:
- The Goonies, which made it cool to be uncool. How cool is that?
- The Wizard of Oz, which is still so magical and layered and complex that I just can't watch it enough. I still discover new things every time I watch that movie. Like how the farm hands' lines in the beginning all relate to their reincarnations in the Land of Oz - I didn't pick up on that as a kid, but I sure got it when I watched it with my 7-year-old. A movie that speaks to kids and parents alike in such a subtle way is pure awesomeness.
- The Lost Boys, which I now realize got me hooked on vampires. Thanks, Kiefer.
- Stand By Me, which is just amazing for the relationships, and for making me "get" that it was about the relationships when I was a kid. My friends and I all learned how to play the song "Stand By Me" on the piano, we loved the movie so much. And none of us actually played the piano!
- Superman, for a whole bunch of reasons. Besides, who doesn't love Superman? Bad guys, that's who. And only because they're jealous. Also, Christopher Reeve was my first crush. *blushes* (And apparently, the comic strip was first conceived of by a teenaged Canuck while he was living in Cleveland - who knew?)
- Mr. & Mrs. Smith. I have been married to my husband for 12 years. We watched this movie together. We both laughed until we had tears in our eyes, because this movie is secretly about us.
- Blood Diamond, because we need to know what kind of shit goes down in order to get diamonds from there to here, and because Leonardo DiCaprio is amazing in it. (And no, I don't wear diamonds.)
- The Incredibles, because it is incredibly funny and fun and it has Edna Mode. I'm waiting for the sequel, Pixar - what's the holdup?
- Taxi Driver, because Robert DeNiro and Martin Scorcese are an unbeatable combination. (I'm a huge Scorcese fan.)
- Mediterraneo, which you should watch even though it is in Italian with subtitles because it is BEAUTIFUL. And the Italian makes it even better. (Also: Go watch Life is Beautiful. Now.)
- The Deer Hunter, which wasn't afraid to be powerful and deep and wrenching.
How about you? What are some of your faves, and why?